23 March 2007

Little Stony heating up!

After a friend at Tangent Outfitters told a couple of guys and me about the large natives he caught the day before, a fellow TU'er and I headed up the road in Pembroke to try out Little Stony yesterday. This stream is a regional favorite and when given the chance to fish it on a weekday when fishing and hiking pressure is low, I have to jump at the opportunity. Unfortunately, neither my friend or me had much time to fish, but that didn't seem to matter. In about a half an hour of fishing, I managed to pull out three fish--two wild rainbows and a native brookie--on a #12 brown hare's ear beadhead. I fished about four holes in the lower section by the parking lot, so not a bad haul. None of the fish were large, one of the rainbows may have gone 6", but they were beautiful, strong, and healthy. In particular, the brookie was a parr but was colored as brilliantly as a spawning adult in many other streams around. All-in-all, very fortunate to cast a line for a short while before dark, and catching some beauts was a true pleasure.

No comments: