17 January 2007

Pseudoscorpions!!

My wife discovered a most-curious 'bug' the other day crawling around on a pillow case in our house. I could not believe my eyes when I saw it and we both went through a couple of reactions. First, the creature was tiny, flat, and it clearly had eight legs--so instantly we thought we were dealing with a tick. Its body was very robust-looking, not spidery at all. Next, my mind just could not come to terms with the fact that this thing had claws that stuck out at least as long as its body was. My third-grade-quality sketch:














I quickly went to trusty Google and typed in 'tick with claws' and, -BAM-, there it was thanks to someone else who made the same 'discovery' and searched in a similar way. There was a site devoted to these harmless and in-fact beneficial creatures, pseudoscorpions. These guys are mite predators that live throughout the world and amount to a miniature scorpion without its stinger. They are tiny, no bigger than a couple of millimeters, and they are prolific, some 2000 plus species exist worldwide. If this has piqued your interest, check out the links:
Wiki
What's that bug?

No comments: