26 January 2007

Self-improvement

My wife is always adamant that I plan and pack ahead of any significant event involving travel. Well, for me a significant event can be as insignificant as half-day fishing trip.

Now to plan for the trip, no problem. I know enough about places around and have spoken to people about where to go, what to take, etc. to be ready. The problem is the actual execution of the plan in terms of the 'packing' or in this case preparing.

When it comes to fishing, there is a danger for me of beginning this too far in advance. No, I don't mean days or weeks in advance, but even the night before. Despite my terrible proclivity to forget vital items when packing for say, a trip to Europe, I pack for fishing with a meticulousness not known to most other facets of my life. Every little piece of equipment has the potential to be improved--frayed leaders; not enough #14 royal Humpies; out of #6 tippet; clean the fly line; grease the reel; the list goes on. If I begin to address any one of these the night before, it could snowball into a 4 hour affair that may include a trip to –GASP- WalMart before it is all over. I have found, however, that if I refuse to think about these things, I can for the most part just throw together what I usually use, hop in the car and go. Certainly, I catch just as many fish as when I extensively prepare the night before; and I spare myself the disappointment that comes with the build-up of excitement during the preparations.

This year, I am trying the mature fly-fishing method instead. I have read of those who handle their lists of to-do’s for gear improvement throughout the winter as therapy for the lack of time actually fishing. It’s not easy for a night-before’er, but I figured it is worth a try. So far this year, I’ve handled an astonishing amount of these preparations at a snail’s pace. For instance, I will tie three or four flies several nights a week and this will adequately stock my fly box soon, at least for the undiscriminating brookies I love to catch (I’m putting off tying those tiny flies needed for a trip to a place like Smith River in Henry County, Virginia known for its scholarly brown trout). For the first time in memory, I cleaned my fly lines. There’s still more to do, but I still have some time. Yes, this is the way to go; and here’s hoping that I remember that next winter.

No comments: